RESOLUTION OF THE UNIVERSITY OF SEVILLE CALLING THE 16TH EUROPEAN FILM-SCREENPLAY AWARD “UNIVERSIDAD DE SEVILLA” (2023)
The University of Seville, in collaboration with the Seville European Film Festival, opens the call for the 16th “Universidad de Sevilla” EUROPEAN FILM AWARD – FILM SCRIPT, 2023 edition, in the film script modality, according to the following
The calling institution aims to promote and encourage cinematographic activities through this award, under support for the cultural initiatives from the Directorate General of Culture and Heritage of the University of Seville.
Participation in the contest is open to any person who meets, at least, one of the following three requirements:
- Enrolled students during the academic year 2022/2023 in any of the European universities pursuing studies leading to an official university degree.
- Those who have completed their studies on the academic year 2013/2014 or later in any of those universities.
- Those who were born later to January 1st 1982, who have not yet released a full-length film in commercial cinemas.
The participants will make a declaration of responsibilitystating that they meet one of the three established requirements in this clause, committing themselves to provide documentary evidence of this in case of winning the award.
Participants who have won the award in previous calls are excluded.
To participate in this award implies the acceptance by the attendees of all the terms and conditionsof the contest and the decisions taken by the Jury. Any breach of the rules will result in the exclusion of the right to participate and, if pertinent, the cancellation of the granting of the price by the University of Seville.
3. Short film screenplays
Each participant may submit only one screenplay indented to produce a no longer than 30 minutes, unreleased film which has not been shot on film at the date ofsubmission. Screenplays may be an original work or an adaptation, whereby the contestant must, in the latter case, own the rights of adaptation of the original work, if it is not in the public domain.
Contestants will sign a responsible declaration stating their authorship of the work and that they hold all the exploitation rights of the work at the date of submission to the contest.
4. Application submissions
All application submissions must be submitted through one of the two channels listed below, whereby those not submitted through either of these means are EXCLUDED:
- Through the Registry of the University of Seville
- Online (Digital Certificate of the FNMT-RCM or electronic DNI required), through the procedure “Presentación de instancias y solicitudes. ModeloGenérico” (Submission of applications and requests. Generic form) available at the SedeElectrónica (Electronic Headquarters) of the University of Seville, through the following link: https://rec.redsara.es/registro/action/are/acceso.do
In this case, the following text must be explicitly included in the SOLICITA (Application) section of the generic application form:
“Que se le admita el formulario de participación en la convocatoria XVI PREMIO EUROPEO DE CINE–GUIÓN CINEMATOGRÁFICO “UNIVERSIDAD DE SEVILLA” (AÑO 2023), cuya documentación será aportada telemáticamente a través de la página web del CICUS, declarando bajo su responsabilidad que son ciertos todos los datos y declaraciones que se incorporan en los mismos”.
- On-site at the RegistroGeneral of the University of Seville through the Registry Assistance Offices located at C/San Fernando, 4 (Rectorado) or Paseo de las Delicias, unnumbered (Pabellón de Brasil). In this case, if you choose to submit your application on-site at the Registro General, in accordance with the given instructions, access to the Registry Assistance Offices, located in the Rectorate Building and the Brazil Pavilion, must be requested by appointment, which may be done through the following link: https://institucional.us.es/cprevias/index.php?ce=907and by submitting the generic application form.
- In any of the other established means in article 16.4 of Law 39/2015, dated October 1st on the Common Administrative Procedure of Public Administrations, that is to say:
- At post offices (Correos), by the means established by regulation.
- At Spanish diplomatic representations or consular offices abroad.
All applications submitted by any of these two established means shall be addressed to Registro de la Universidad de Sevilla, C/ San Fernando nº 4, 41004 Sevilla.
Deadline for applications: the application period will be open from the date on which this call is published until July 14th, 2023.
Required paperwork: the applicant must provide on the website http://cicus.us.es through the registration on the same:
- Proof of having submitted the application form through one of the means established in clauses 4.1 and 4.2.
- Screenplay synopsis.
- Literary script, which must be submitted in pdf. format, without illustrations or any other content than the text itself.
- Script treatment (no longer than 1 page for every 3 pages of the final script).
- Curriculum vitae of the author.
- Participants may attach, if they wish to, additional paperwork, such as motivation/direction records, project dossier, etc.
Once the price has been awarded and announced, the winners will be obliged to demonstrate that they meet the established requirements stipulated in the second rule of this call for entries.
The prizes included in this call will be determined in accordance with the provisions of Law 38/2003, dated November 17th, General Law of Subsidies, as they are prizes that are awarded upon application by the beneficiary.
The following prizes will be awarded:
- A first price of 2,000€
- A second prince of 1,000€
The amount thereof shall be subject to the withholding of taxes in accordance with the law. To this end, the appropriate credit retention of 3,000€ will be made against the organic/functional/economic 18.40.18.03/451/482 of the University of Seville’s budget for the financial year 2023.
6. Making of the short film. Screening during the Seville European Film Festival and as part of the CICUS schedule.
The awarding of prizes does not imply the obligation to makethe short film object of the project.
However, if the short film awarded first prize is eventually filmed, the winner must grant the necessary screening rights in order to hold at least one screening at the Centre for Cultural Initiatives of the University of Seville (CICUS). Likewise, the Seville European Film Festival would undertake to establish a dialogue with the authors of the final work (short film shot based on the first prize winning screenplay) to consider the possibilities and benefits of including the screening of the film in the schedule of a future edition of the Festival.
Furthermore, if the shooting of the short films is effectively carried out, the winners undertake to include amention of the award and the logos provided by the University of Seville and the Seville European Film Festival in all of the documentation and media used to apply for grants, presentation at pitching sessions or other professional forums, as well as for the final execution of the short film and, in this case, they must be included in the opening credits and in all of the promotional elements:
- Mention First Prize Film Screenplay: First Prize Film Screenplay on the 16thEurppean Film Awardof the University of Seville 2023 + Universityof SevilleandSeville Eruopean Film Festival Logos.
- Mention Second Prize Film Screenplay: Second Prize Film Screenplay on the 16th Eurppean Film Award of the University of Seville 2023 + University of Seville andSeville Eruopean Film Festival Logos.
7. Destruction of the submitted works
After a period of 6 months from the awarding of the prize, the University of Seville will destroy all of the computing files submitted to the competition, as well as the paper copies that, were appropriate, may have been made at the request of the jury for the sole purpose of facilitating their reading by the jury.
However, if the filling of an administrative or contentious-administrative appeal makes it necessary, the University of Seville will keep the computing files until the relevant administrative or judicial decision is final.
The University of Seville will not maintain correspondence with the authors of the works submitted, nor will it make any use of them other than the contemplated in this resolution.
The jury will be chaired by the general director of Culture and Heritage, by express delegation of the rector, and will be made up of personalities of recognized prestige in the film field appointed by both the University of Seville and the Seville European Film Festival.
In view of the number of works submitted, and at the proposal of the jury, the Directorate General of Culture and Heritage of the University may entrust a commission or a person of recognised prestige with a pre-evaluation and pre-selection of the works submitted.
The study and selection of the proposals will be carried out by the aforementioned jury, which will make a proposal for the award of the prize to the Rector Magnificent, who will issue the award resolution.
The jury’s decision may declare any of the prizes established in clause five to be void. Likewise, the jury may award one or more runners-up prizes without a monetary award.
Against the decision on the award of proposals, in accordance with article 123 and following of Law 39/2015, dated October 1st, on the Common Administrative Procedure of Public Administrations, which puts an end to administrative proceedings, an appeal for reconsideration may be lodged within one month from the day after the date of publication, or lodge a contentious-administrative appeal within two months of the day after the date of the publication or impugned notification, in accordance with article 46.1 of the Law on Contentious-Administrative Jurisdiction.
The screenplays must be submitted indistinctly in Spanish or in English.
10. Authorization for image use and disclosure of Data
In accordance with Organic Law 1/1982 of May 5thon the Civil Protection of the Right to Honor and Family and Personal Image, as well as the General Data Protection Regulation, and Organic Law 3/2018 of December 5thon the Protection of Personal Data and Guarantee of Digital Rights, the participants expressly authorize the University, if awarded, to publish their full name, as well as the name of the works submitted. Likewise, participants give their consent, if selected, to provide the media their telephone number and/or email address, if asked to, so that they can contact them, but in no case may such personal data be published.
In application of the regulations on personal data protection (RGPD EU 2016/679 and LOPDyGDD 3/2018), participants are informed that the University of Seville is responsible for the present handling, Promotional Activities of the Cultural Initiatives Center, which aims to process and manage the use of the various services offered by the Cultural Initiatives Center of the University of Seville. The handling is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of public authority vested in the controller; for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is a party. Likewise, it is legitimized by the express consent of the interested party, if applicable.
In accordance with the aforementioned rules, you have the right to access, rectify and delete your personal data, as well as other rights that you can consult, together with additional detailed information, by clicking this link https://cicus.us.es/protecciondatos.
In accordance with article 123 and following of Law 39/2015, of October 1st, of the Common Administrative Procedure of Public Administrations, both this call, which puts an end to the administrative channel, and the administrative acts deriving from it and from the actions of the jury, may be challenged by means of an appeal for reconsideration within one month, counted from the day following its publication, or by filing a contentious-administrative appeal within two months, counted from the day following the day of the publication or notification challenged in accordance with art. 46.1 of the Law on Contentious-Administrative Jurisdiction.
In Sevilla, as of the date of the signature..
Fdo. Miguel Ángel Castro Arroyo.